Talk about one-track minds. Obiter’s offer of free tickets to see Legally Blonde The Musical on tour (28 June) attracted a record number of suggestions for legally themed cocktails - a large proportion on the theme of Sex on the Beach. Several mixes reflected our straitened times, with suggestions including a Slow Uncomfortable Screw Against the Wall and an LSC Sour (bitter, guaranteed to give you an awful hangover and massively expensive). And there were a number of Devil’s Advocaats (has anyone informed the SDT?).
The Gazette jury’s long-list was:The three prizes go to Gareth Baker (MOJ-ito), Estella Brown (Rumpole’s Baileys) and Sue Porter (Legal Secs).
- Flaming LASPO (expensive, with a bite - makes you unwell)
- Long Island Fixed Fee (you need quite a few to do the job)
- Pina-COLP-lada (nominated person takes full responsibility for whoever drinks it)
- Absolut Liability (neat vodka with a sprig of mint)
- Singapore Strike-out
- Legal Secs on the Beach
- Bloody Mary Sykes (after first woman on the roll)
- Rumpole’s Baileys and Kahlua (on the rocks)
- Sex on the Breach
Next week: Obiter mixes up and drinks the winning entry.