Clarity at a price
It was helpful to refer solicitors to part 3 of the Council of Mortgage Lenders’ Handbook, particularly the set of voluntary sample letters ‘designed to help ensure complete clarity’.
There is a problem with clarity since, to become an associate member of CML and thereby to gain access to such letters, the cost is £6,940 plus VAT and a one-off fee is £1,525 plus VAT. By having ‘panels’ and therefore control, lenders seek to wrest the process from independent solicitors and insult them further by the above ‘rip-off’. The sooner we establish that no solicitor should act for both sides of such an important financial transaction the better.
Deborah Elizabeth Daniels, Bird & Daniels, Shipley, West Yorks
- Law firms: information overload?
- A sad day for the legal profession
- Barmy PCT model
- Welsh office
- Job centred
- Tendering: grim precedent
- Law Society Yacht Club
- Legal reforms: call for consistency
- Malaysian abuses
- Dog-eat-dog profession
- Divorce advice
- Civil strife
- Family arbitration: award show
- SRA must level the playing field between corporations and law firms
- Minding our language
- PCT: dumbing down
- Family scheme: the right choice