It was disappointing to read the statement by Law Society president John Wotton expressing, in thoroughly ‘right-on’ terms, the official Society line that it is supporting gay marriage.
It is obvious that the question of changing the law, on such an important social institution as marriage, is quintessentially a political issue on which lawyers, as citizens, quite properly will have a range of views. It follows that it is totally inappropriate for the Society to take a partisan political position on this question - or indeed on any question.
Robin Tilbrook, Tilbrook’s, Ongar
- Law firms: information overload?
- A sad day for the legal profession
- Barmy PCT model
- Welsh office
- Legal reforms: call for consistency
- Malaysian abuses
- Dog-eat-dog profession
- Divorce advice
- Civil strife
- Family arbitration: award show
- Job centred
- Tendering: grim precedent
- Law Society Yacht Club
- SRA must level the playing field between corporations and law firms
- Minding our l