Dr Andy Siddaway, Chartered Clinical Psychologist & Expert Witness
Trauma and risk specialist
Expert witness/medico-legal assessments are predominantly conducted in Scotland (some further afield) in the following areas: family law, personal injury, clinical negligence, immigration. Assessments can be conducted in person or online.
Dr Siddaway is Registered with the Health and Care Professions Council and Chartered by the British Psychological Society. He has worked in a range of NHS mental health services for over 12 years and has extensive experience assessing and treating children, adolescents, and adults experiencing severe and complex mental health problems. For the past ~7 years, he has worked in specialist psychological trauma services, including with traumatically bereaved children, amputee adults, and with a wide range of traumatised adults in his current role. He conducts research and offers consultation, teaching, training, and supervision to other professionals on trauma/adversity and risk. He has attended the British Psychological Society’s (BPS) Expert Witness training and is listed on the BPS Directory of Expert Witnesses.
Expert witness assessments are conducted in relation to:
- Psychological problems related to trauma and adversity (eg, trauma; adverse childhood experiences; neglect; abuse; domestic abuse; bereavement; human trafficking; injuries, accidents; immigration; chronic medical conditions)
- Parenting competence, family functioning, and risk to children (eg, in care proceedings and contact arrangements; parental alienation; ability to make and sustain changes)
- Diagnosis of psychiatric disorders and personality disorders using gold standard semi-structured diagnostic interviews
- Theory and evidence-based risk assessment and management (eg, suicide attempts, nonsuicidal self-injury, sexual recidivism, domestic violence), including capacity and motivation to change, protective factors, and recommendations for management/treatment
- Neuropsychological assessment (eg, assessment of learning disability)
- Assessment of mental capacity and ability to give evidence and testify in Court
- Assessment of malingering/feigning
- Psychological formulations of problems and suitability for psychological treatment
Dr Siddaway has developed a strong reputation for producing rigorous and accessible expert witness reports in complex cases. He is always happy to informally discuss potential cases and can assess and report with tight turnaround times if needed. His CV is available at andysiddaway.com
Please get in touch to discuss instructions and timescales. References and sample reports are available on request.