Report comment

Please fill in the form to report an unsuitable comment. Please state which comment is of concern and why. It will be sent to our moderator for review.


Regarding residential leaseholds the LRA 1967 applies:

" To be a ‘qualifying tenant’ you must:
• have a long lease; and • have held the lease for at least two years at the time you give the notice to enfranchise. • You must also have a lease of the whole house."

So, after two years, the leaseholders can force a sale of the freehold to them at the market price of that freehold interest.

Thus the danger lies not in the initial purchase but in any subsequent escalation of the value of the freehold interest and that is not something that the solicitor could be expected to anticipate or advise safely upon.

Your details