The Law Society has honoured 26 solicitors and firms for their outstanding contribution to the profession during the Covid-19 pandemic, at the most prestigious awards ceremony for solicitors in England and Wales.
The Law Society Excellence Awards – which took place virtually over the course of three nights – crowned Chloe Jay of Shentons Solicitors & Mediators as Solicitor of the Year (private practice) in the final batch of winners, while Naomi Angell of Osbornes Law received the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Tom Bohills of Chronos Law was awarded Sole Practitioner of the Year, and the Outstanding Contribution during Covid prize went to the UK Collaborative Plan for Pro Bono. The plan is made up of 60+ law firms who shared information and reduced demands on those at the forefront of the pandemic legal need.
Elizabeth Rimmer, of LawCare, and Jelena Madir, of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, were also honoured for their contribution during the pandemic.
Law Society president David Greene said: ‘In an extremely challenging year, it is more important than ever to recognise the hard work, skill and dedication of solicitors in England and Wales, to champion the rule of law and to defend the right to justice for all.
'At a time when lawyers come under attack for simply doing their job, we must never forget the immense contribution solicitors make to society. Congratulations to all those who have won and been shortlisted.’
List of winners:
- Excellence in Business Development – DAC Beachcroft
- Excellence in Client Service – JD Spicer Zeb
- Excellence in Technology and Innovation – DAC Beachcroft
- Excellence in Marketing and Communications – Rayden Solicitors
- Excellence in Learning and Development – King & Spalding LLP
- Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion – Clifford Chance
- Woman Solicitor of the Year - Vivienne Artz, Refinitiv
- The Law Society Gazette Legal Personality of the Year – Polly Sweeney, RIS Law
- Excellence in Access to Justice – Child Poverty Action Group
- Excellence in Pro Bono – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Human Rights Solicitor of the Year – Matthew Evans, The AIRE Centre
- Large Law Firm of the Year – Duncan Lewis Solicitors
- Excellence in International Legal Services – LCN Legal
- Excellence In-house – Cornerstone
- Solicitor of the Year – In-house – Wayne Spillett, Vodafone Group
- Junior Lawyer of the Year in memory of Aya Hachem – Sengova Kailondo, Hogan Lovells
- Sole Practitioner of the Year – Tom Bohills, Chronos Law
- Practice Manager of the Year – Steve Bradley, Greenhalgh Kerr
- Small Law Firm of the Year – Emmersons Solicitors
- Excellence in Private Client Practice – Shoosmiths LLP
- Solicitor of the Year – Private Practice – Chloe Jay, Shentons Solicitors & Mediators
- Medium Law Firm of the Year – Collins Solicitors
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Naomi Angell, Osbornes Law
- Outstanding Contribution during Covid – Elizabeth Rimmer, LawCare
- Outstanding Contribution during Covid – Jelena Madir, Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance
- Outstanding Contribution during Covid – UK Collaborative Plan for Pro Bono