Report comment

Please fill in the form to report an unsuitable comment. Please state which comment is of concern and why. It will be sent to our moderator for review.


Does anyone know anything about the system in USA, or South Australia? I believe that in the former you just insure yourself against anyone coming along with a better title and then claim on the policy if an when he does. Yes, i know an insurance claim is messy, protracted and never worth the full value of your loss, but it's better than nothing.

South Australia has some sort of special registered land system.

But, i still prefer our old system of unregistered conveyancing. You either had a pile of deeds, or you didn't. Perhaps your mortgagees held them. I recall an experienced solicitor using the quaint expression "I hold my deeds" meaning he was not in mortgage and could prove a paper title to his land. I also liked the system of recitals which summarised what the document was about to do and why.

Oh, for the good olde days!

Your details