Bivonas Law has announced that leading extradition expert Anthony Hanratty has joined the firm, strengthening its international practice.
Anthony specialises in extradition matters and regularly acts in complex and high profile cases with a particular expertise in political/judicial corruption and human rights issues.
Anthony has represented clients arrested on warrants from countries such as Russia, Turkey, Paraguay, Albania, USA and Canada as well as defending hundreds of European Arrest Warrants. He provides advice on a wide range of pre-arrest issues such as challenging Interpol Red Notices and warrants in foreign jurisdictions.
Noted for his advocacy skills, Anthony regularly represents clients at contested extradition hearings. He also advises on appeals to the High Court, Supreme Court and ECtHR.
Ranked by Chambers and Partners, he is recognised for his “very knowledgeable” extradition practice and is described as “excellent to work with” and “an excellent advocate”.
Examples of Anthony’s recent work include:
- Representing a serving member of the Armed Forces sought to serve a sentence of 6 years in Turkey following conviction in absentia. Client was successfully discharged from proceedings in the Magistrates’ Court.
- Representing a client whose extradition was sought by the USA in relation to charges of hacking in to computer systems of government agencies such as the FBI, NASA, US Army and the Missile Defence Agency.
- Instructed on appeal to represent a client in the first ever extradition request from Paraguay concerning a $60m fraud allegation.
- Acting in High Court proceedings where the reliability of assurances provided by the Russian Federation is being examined by a Divisional Court.
- Representing an investment banker in relation to an alleged bankruptcy fraud in Italy.